Impact of COVID-19 on projects supported by the CALQ

These frequently asked questions are intended for artists, writers, curators and representatives of arts organizations whose projects are affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19). Please note that these frequently asked questions will be updated regularly as the situation evolves.
Last update: March 26, 11 am


  1. Are the offices of the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec open?

    In accordance with government regulations related to COVID-19, the receptions of the offices of the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec are closed until further notice. However, we continue to offer our services online. You may therefore contact us by e-mail at the address of the person responsible for your file or at info@calq.gouv.qc.ca.

    Please register Mon Dossier CALQ to submit your applications. Documents sent by mail cannot be processed until our offices reopen.

    Emergency Assistance

  2. Can an artist or arts organization eligible for the CALQ programs but not supported apply for special emergency assistance?

    No. The emergency measures announced by the CALQ are only for the organizations and artists it supports.

    Watch for government announcements to find out what other types of assistance you may be eligible for. We invite you to visit the “Businesses and workers” section of www.quebec.ca/coronavirus for more information.

  3. Can an artist or arts organization that has been supported by the Council in the past apply for emergency assistance?

    Special emergency assistance can only be granted in relation to a project that is currently supported by the CALQ and for which the arts organization or artist has an immediate need.

    Impacts on funded projects

  4. Following the announcement of the closure of all theatres in Québec, regardless of their capacity, we must cancel the presentation of our events. Will there be help for us?

    The government directive issued on March 14 stipulates that all theatres in Québec (including those with a capacity of less than 250 people) must close their doors for a period of 30 days. Aware of the consequences of the prevention operation currently being deployed, the Ministère de la Culture et des Communications and CALQ teams are working closely together to limit the financial impact on the cultural community. An e-mail address and a simplified form (French only) are offered to organizations in serious financial difficulty so that the CALQ can receive and process requests for emergency assistance.

  5. I represent an organization that receives mission or specific programming support. Our programming has been cancelled or changed because of COVID-19. Will this have an impact on my grant?

    No. Organizations that receive mission or specific programming funding are not required to have alternate programming for activities or events that are postponed, changed or cancelled because of COVID-19.

  6. I received funding or a grant that involves travel, but I haven’t booked anything yet. Can I use the grant to pay for travel insurance?

    The CALQ asks that you not make any reservations until further notice and not travel abroad, in accordance with guidelines issued by the Government of Canada.

  7. I received funding (Circulation of Works Outside Québec) or a grant (Travel, Circulation of Works). My trip was cancelled, but I will not be reimbursed for all of my expenses. Should I reimburse the grant?

    The CALQ is aware that the emergence of COVID-19 is an extraordinary situation and that its impact is being felt on the projects the CALQ supports. Given the context, you should explain the circumstances and present your justification in your final report. You do not need to reimburse for expenses you have already incurred.

    However, if you have been reimbursed for some of the expenses incurred or you have not used the entire amount of your grant or funding, you need to reimburse amounts not spent, in keeping with our terms of allocation of funding or a grant.

  8. I received funding (Circulation of Works Outside Québec) or a grant (Travel, Circulation of Works) to take part in an event that was cancelled. I will not be reimbursed for all of my expenses. Should I reimburse the grant?

    See the answer to question # 7.

  9. I received funding (Circulation of Works Outside Québec) or a grant (Travel, Circulation of Works). I must postpone or change my project. Can I do that?

    You do not need to report minor changes to dates or projects. However, you can report substantial changes to your project by email to the person responsible for your file.

  10. I received funding (Circulation of Works Outside Québec) or a grant (Travel, Circulation of Works), and I have incurred additional expenses because of the extraordinary circumstances surrounding COVID-19 (for example, a change in expenses or the postponement of tour dates). Can I submit a new application to have these additional expenses covered?

    You do not need to submit a new application. The CALQ encourages you to present these items in your final grant use report so that additional aid can be awarded if necessary.

  11. My company or I are stranded abroad or have been placed in quarantine. Can I use the funding or the grant to cover unexpected expenses? Can I obtain a supplement to the grant to cover these expenses?

    The CALQ intends to be flexible given the circumstances. You should immediately contact the person responsible for your file. If you need emergency financial assistance to return home, we invite you to write to us at this address and fill out the emergency assistance request form (in French only) designed for this purpose.

    About ongoing programs

  12. I submitted an application for financial support that involves travel abroad. How will this affect the evaluation of my application?

    In accordance with the directives issued by the Government of Canada, it is recommended that you do not travel abroad. As such, no grants will be awarded for international travel until further notice.

  13. What happens to the processing of applications already submitted under the territorial agreement programs?

    Applications already being progressed will be finalized. We will monitor the situation daily. We may extend certain registration dates if necessary. Regardless, affected clienteles will be informed as soon as possible.

  14. I submitted an application recently and I still haven’t received an answer. What’s going on?

    All applications for the year 2019-2020 have been processed. The CALQ is currently managing emergencies and will resume processing applications for the year 2020-2021 as soon as possible. If you haven’t already done so, we encourage you to register Mon Dossier CALQ to follow the progress of your file.


  15. I received funding or a grant for a project that involves travel. I am concerned about the coronavirus. Should I travel?

    No. The CALQ strongly recommends consulting the Government of Canada’s travel health notices for COVID-19 before travelling. On March 12, the Government of Québec decreed that anyone arriving from abroad should go into self-isolation for 14 days. On March 14, an official global travel advisory from the Government of Canada asked Canadians to avoid any nonessential travel outside the country.

    Canadians who are abroad need to find out about commercial options still available to return to Canada and must return to Canada earlier than planned if these options become more limited.

  16. The impact of COVID-19 has delayed my trip home. Where can I get help?

    Canadians who cannot return to the country because of COVID-19 and who need consular assistance should contact the Canadian embassy or consulate in the region. If you need emergency financial assistance to return home, we invite you to write to us at this address  and fill out the emergency assistance request form designed for this purpose. It should be noted that this assistance is available only to artists and arts organizations supported by the CALQ, and must be linked to a currently supported project.

  17. What health measures should I take if I decide to return to Canada?

    You can find the relevant information on the Coronavirus page on the Government of Québec website.

  18. I have a project or event that involves bringing in foreign visitors. What should I do?

    As of March 12, organizations are required to cancel all indoor gatherings of over 250 people or those deemed not necessary, for a period of 30 days, or until April 11. Any other type of gathering is also not recommended.

    Furthermore, on March 14, after the Prime Minister’s announcement of a health emergency, government museums and the Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ) libraries followed the lead of schools and closed for two weeks, until March 29.

    On March 15, the Québec government ordered the closure of all cultural and recreational sites where people gather until March 30.

    On March 18, the Government of Canada announced border closure to foreign travellers.

    We strongly suggest following government health guidelines: www.quebec.ca/coronavirus

    Any other questions?

  19. I have a question. Who should I contact?

    You can contact the person responsible for your file.


Useful links