Artiste de l'année au Nord-du-Québec (Nord-du-Québec Artist of the Year)
This prize, accompanied by a cash award of $10,000, recognizes artists or writers from Nord-du-Québec who have distinguished themselves for the vibrancy of their career and the excellence of their recent work.
The Prix du CALQ – Artiste de l’année (the CALQ prize for Artist of the year), accompanied by a cash award of $10,000, recognizes artists or writers who have distinguished themselves for the vibrancy of their career and the excellence of their recent work.
This prize is the result of a partnership between the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec, which is responsible for managing the program, and the Administration régionale Baie-James and Avataq, who promote the call for applications and award the prize.
La Fabrique culturelle de Télé-Québec This link will open in a new window, a partner for this prize, will produce a video portrait of the winner during the year following the prize (with certain exceptions).
- The main objectives of the Prix du CALQ – Artiste de l’année are to: support artistic creation in the regions;
- promote the recognition of professional artists and writers in their community;
- offer tangible support for their career;
- help promote artists and writers who work in the regions.
Professional artists and writers who work in the following disciplines are eligible for the Prix du CALQ – Artiste de l’année: circus arts, digital arts, visual arts, multidisciplinary arts, popular song, film and video art, dance, literature, storytelling, arts and crafts, music, theatre and architectural research.
Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident according to article 2 (1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. They must ordinarily reside in Québec and have done so for the past 12 months.
For CALQ programs, professional artists are anyone who:
- declares themselves to be professional artists;
- produces works or practices an art on their own behalf or offers services for payment, as creators or performers, in disciplines within the CALQ’s jurisdiction;
- has been recognized by their peers;
- publicly presents or performs works at venues or in a context recognized by their peers.
To be eligible for a Prix du CALQ – Artiste de l’année, artists or writers must:
- submit their application or accept a nomination by a third party;
- have at least three (3) years of professional artistic practice;
- be the author of or have participated as a performer in at least two professional artistic productions;
- have had their primary residence in the region of Nord-du-Québec for at least one year.
The following individuals are ineligible for this prize:
- artists’ or writers’ collectives and groups legally constituted as for-profit or non-profit companies or partnerships;
- artists and writers who have received a prize from the CALQ in the past four years;
- members of the CALQ’s board;
- Employees of the Administration régionale Baie-James, the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec, the Avataq Cultural Institute, the Ministère de la Culture et des Communications and any organization associated with awarding this prize.
1. Artistic and literary quality: 50%
- Quality of the candidate’s recent work (25%)
- Interest and impact of recent work on the candidate’s career (20%)
- Clarity and quality of the application (5%)
2. Artistic or literary influence: 50%
- Candidate’s contribution to the community and the cultural vitality of the region (20%)
- Scope of the dissemination of the candidate’s work in their region and within or outside Québec (20%)
- Artistic or literary contribution to the discipline (10%)
Applications are evaluated by an inter-regional selection committee whose members must be part of the CALQ’s bank of resource persons. Members are from each of the regions from which applications originate; they are recognized for their competency in their discipline and have thorough knowledge of the setting in which they work.
Applications are evaluated based on merit and on the objectives and evaluation criteria for the Prix du CALQ – Artiste de l’année.
The members of the board of directors, CALQ employees and members of juries and committees are subject to a code of ethics and conduct (81 KB) . Everyone must act in good faith in exercising their duties and not take part in any discussions about an application for financial aid that could constitute a conflict of interest. Furthermore, they may not use for their own purposes confidential or privileged information provided to them.
Exceptionally, in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec agrees to receive the application file by WeTransfer. Instructions for sending can be found in the personal information application form.
All documents must be clearly identified with the candidate or nominee's name.
For details of required documents, refer to the list on the first page of the Application form.
Deadline for submission of candidacies
May 13, 2022
Incomplete applications or those received after the deadline for submission are ineligible.
Place of registration
Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec
Email : email@example.com
For the Prix du CALQ – Artiste de l’année au Nord-du-Québec:
- the CALQ awards one prize annually;
- the financial component for this prize is indivisible and must be paid in full to one artist or one writer;