Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec (CALQ) supports, throughout Québec, creation, experimentation, production and dissemination in the realms of the visual arts, the arts and crafts, literature, the performing arts, the multidisciplinary arts, cinema and video, the digital arts and architectural research. CALQ also seeks to broaden the influence of artists, writers, arts organizations and their works in Québec, Canada and abroad.
CALQ subscribes to values shared by the arts and literature communities that reflect its policy directions:
- respect for the autonomy and creative freedom of artists and writers;
- respect for the artistic and administrative independence of arts organizations;
- recognition by peers of artistic merit;
- collaboration with the arts and literary communities;
- rigour and openness in methods of attributing financial assistance.
The Act respecting the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec is available on the website of Publications du Québec.