Grant program for artists

Frequently Asked Questions

The Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec has thoroughly redesigned its Grant program for artists in order to better meet their needs. Organized into nine sections, the Grant program offers financial support for a wide range of activities in all disciplines.

About applications

  • What happens if I apply for funding in the wrong section?

    If your application has been submitted in the wrong section, the program officer responsible for your file will contact you to inform you of this fact and tell you how to proceed. You will have to cancel your application and submit a new application in the correct section. Applications cannot be transferred from one section to another, as the requirements are specific to each section.

  • Is it possible to submit applications in several sections at the same time?

    Yes, it is possible to submit applications in several sections at the same time, but keep in mind that the CALQ cannot support the same expenses twice and that you cannot have more than three supported or in progress projects under analysis at the same time.  The same project can be supported at different stages.  The CALQ gives the artist the latitude to submit his or her applications when he or she deems it appropriate, within the following rules :

    – You may submit up to five separate applications and receive a maximum of five grants per CALQ fiscal year (April 1 to March 31).
    – All applications submitted, including those found to be ineligible, are counted towards the annual maximum.

  • Is it possible to apply for several creation grants at the same time and to receive more than one grant?

    An artist can submit up to three applications at the same time and be granted funding for all three. However, the same expense cannot be funded twice. You cannot have more than three projects under evaluation, funded and/or in progress at the same time.

  • If I’m involved in a project for which I’m not the applicant, does that count towards the number of applications I’m allowed?

    No, you can be a collaborator or participant in a number of projects. The person who submits the application counts as the applicant. In the case of a collective, the artist who files the application on behalf of the group is the applicant. The others are considered collaborators or participants. Only the applicant needs to satisfy the eligibility criteria.

  • Is it possible to submit applications for different phases of a single project? For example, can I submit an application for a Research and Exploration grant to write a script and then later submit other applications for production and then for postproduction? Or should I present all stages of the project in a single grant application?

    It’s up to you. An artist can submit a single application covering all phases of a project or separate applications for each phase.

  • Will the additional funding for the grant program be available to projects that have already been submitted?

    The envelope is available for all applications submitted during this financial year. Applications received after February 24 are currently being evaluated and you should receive an answer shortly.

  • If I submit more than one application, will they be evaluated by the same jury?

    If the projects are in the same discipline and the same section, your applications will probably be evaluated by the same jury.

  • Is it possible to submit an application in English or must it be written in French?

    You can apply in either English or French, there is no advantage to applying in either languages. Jury members are bilingual. We advise you to submit your project in the language you are most comfortable with, in order to express your project as clearly as possible.

About the budgets

  • Do you have new funding to meet the increase in the amounts requested or projects requested due to the COVID-19?

    The CALQ has received an increase in its budget to assist the arts community in dealing with the COVID-19 crisis. An amount is specifically earmarked for the new grant program, which will allow the CALQ to fund a greater number of projects.

  • How is remuneration determined? Are there pre-established amounts?

    It is up to the applicant to explain on what basis(s) he or she has established his or her own remuneration and that of participating artists.

    The CALQ makes it a priority to improve artists’ remuneration and conditions of practice. As such, it is important that the remuneration provided in the context of the project be fair and equitable, reflecting the talent, skills and number of hours worked by the participating artists, including the applicant.

  • How do I find out what eligible expenses are specific to my discipline?

    Eligible expenses are presented in each of the program sections and are the same for all disciplines.

  • What are the amounts of the financial envelopes dedicated to each discipline?

    The program does not operate with discipline-specific envelopes, but with an overall envelope. Financial resources are allocated equitably based on the needs expressed by applicants, taking into account disciplines, socio-demographic factors, experience and territory (regions).

    Experience and disciplines

  • Why did you abolish the “emerging artist” category?

    The categories of artists based on experience were abolished to be fairer to all applicants. Under the old grant program, emerging artists were only allowed to apply to one section per fiscal year and the maximum amount was limited to $15,000. From now on, emerging artists will benefit from the same maximum amounts and the same conditions as other artists, i.e., the possibility of submitting up to five applications per year.

  • I wish to submit a project in a discipline other than the one in which I usually work. Is this possible?

    Yes, once you qualify in a discipline, you can apply in any of the disciplines supported by the CALQ.

  • I wish to submit a project in a discipline other than the one in which I usually work. In which discipline will my project be evaluated?

    The project will be evaluated among the applications of the discipline in which you are submitting your project.

  • I wish to present a project that involves several artistic disciplines. In which discipline will my project be evaluated?

    For this type of project, as for all applications, it is now possible to request an evaluation by a multidisciplinary jury. To do so, you must check the corresponding box in the application form.

  • Does the fact that final-year students are now eligible mean there will be less money for established artists?

    The additional funding will be distributed equitably among all artists. We want to support excellence while taking into account the diversity of Québec’s population.

  • I’m a student but I also have a professional artistic practice. Does my student status make me ineligible for a grant?

    If your artistic or literary project is not part of your training, there’s no problem as long as you meet the eligibility criteria for our programs without counting your current studies. You can have an artistic practice alongside your studies.

  • In what discipline will artists working in the field of humour be evaluated?

    They will be evaluated by juries made of their peers in humour.

    Research and Exploration, Creation, and Public Presentation

  • Is it still possible to apply for a grant for a commissioned work project?

    Yes. Although commissioned work projects are no longer the subject of a section per se, they are eligible for the Creation section in all disciplines. Commissioned work projects must include a letter from the partner committing to participate financially in the creation and dissemination of the work.

  • I have a research project that includes a public laboratory, do I have to apply for a Research and Exploration, Creation or Public Presentation grant?

    The nature of your project will determine the section in which you can submit your application. If you are working on a research project that includes a public experimentation workshop, your application should be submitted under the Research and Exploration stream. If your project involves the pre-production of a performance, for instance, your application should be submitted under the Creation section, where you will have the opportunity to present excerpts from the work before a test audience. The Public Presentation section is intended for works that are ready for public presentation.

  • For my production project, I work with a company funded by SODEC or an organization funded by the CALQ. Is my project eligible?

    Yes, the project is eligible. On the application form you can specify the co-producer’s contribution. More specifically, in the fields of popular song and music, the CALQ intends to complement SODEC’s activities. Thus, assistance for the production of a show is aimed more specifically at entrepreneurial artists, whether they act independently or in co-production.

  • Why does the CALQ give priority to public presentation projects carried out with a recognized distribution partner?

    The CALQ believes that reaching the public is facilitated when artists work in collaboration with an organization or individual with experience in the dissemination of works in his or her disciplinary sector, who contributes money or services to the project, thereby increasing its impact.

  • Are showcase projects eligible under the Public Presentation section?

    No, but showcase projects at markets, fairs or exhibitions are generally eligible for the Circulation of Works (within or outside Québec) sections.

  • Is a cultural mediation project eligible for a Research and Exploration grant?

    The CALQ does not fund educational or pedagogical projects. Therefore, a project whose sole purpose is cultural mediation would not be eligible. However, for a Public Presentation grant, the budget could include expenses for cultural mediation activities conducted alongside the presentation of the work.

  • To which program can I apply for a grant to design a professional website?

    You cannot submit an application for a grant for website design as such; it must be related to an artistic project. However, in every section of the grant program where promotional expenses are eligible, a website can be included in the budget.
    A website can also be funded under the Publication and Critical Documentation section if, for example, you are producing an online publication that deals critically with your work.

    About curators and groups

    • I am an independent curator. Can I continue to apply to the Manifestation et présentation publique program*?

      All applications from individuals, artists or curators must be forwarded to the new program. With its nine sections, this program covers all the activities previously covered in various programs and offers even more opportunities.

      *This question also applies to the following programs: Diffusion d’œuvres au Québec et à l’extérieur du Québec, Accueil d’œuvres de l’extérieur du Québec, Prospection et Publication.

    • Are performing arts groups eligible for the grant program or must they continue to apply to the Production et reprise program, which is intended for organizations?

      From now on, all applications from individuals must be submitted under the grant program for artists, including those for a group project.

      Whether it is a collective or an individual project, a single person must assume responsibility for the management of the project and the grant, if applicable. The other persons involved in the project are considered either as participating artists or as collaborators, if they are not artists.

      Professional Development, Strategic Opportunities and Career Plan

    • Have the conditions for the Professional Development section changed?

      The Professional Development section remains similar to the old one. However, the CALQ now accepts development projects related to project management. Also, the maximum amount has been increased.

    • What happened to the Career Grants previously awarded by the CALQ?

      Career Grants supported projects that were spread over a long period of time, non-standard projects, requiring a larger budget than regular grants. Artists who wish to present these types of projects can now do so through the Strategic Opportunities and Career Plan section, which provides support of up to $100,000 per year.

    • I have a work plan that includes several activities to be carried out over a fairly long period of time; can I apply for my entire work plan?

      Yes, you can apply to the Strategic Opportunities and Career Plan section, through which the CALQ offers artists flexible financial assistance to support atypical projects that promote career planning and development as well as the exploitation of their work. A project may involve several activities and take place over a long period of time. To be eligible, however, it must not be eligible under the other sections of the program.

    • I am being presented with an exceptional opportunity that I cannot refuse and must respond quickly; can I apply to the Strategic Opportunities and Career Plan section?

      Yes, this section allows applications to be submitted at any time before the project starts, without delay between the application date and the completion date. The purpose of this section is to enable artists to seize an important opportunity for the development of their career or the exploitation of their work.

    • Is online professional development eligible?

      If the project meets the program criteria, online training can be eligible. It has to be a structured training program.

    • Should I submit two separate applications for a creation project that has a professional development component?

      You can include professional development expenses in an application for a creation grant as long as the two are related. You can also separate them if the two activities are to be carried out at different times. Both approaches are acceptable.

      Travel / Circulation of Works Within or Outside Québec

      Please note that this component of the Grant Program is currently suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please refer to this document for details.
    • I run my own company and would need financial support for a show tour. Do I have to submit my project to the Artists’ grant program or the Organizations grant programs?

      If you are running a non-profit organization, you must apply to the Organizations grant programs.  Only applications from individuals (acting in their capacity as individuals, not legal entities) are eligible for the Artists’ grant program.

    • I have the opportunity to present my work abroad. Can I apply to the Travel section?

      No. The presentation of works on tour is no longer eligible for the Travel section. All applications must be submitted under Circulation of Works Within Québec or Circulation of Works Outside Québec, depending on the venue.

    • I have a project to present or circulate a work. Will my project be evaluated along those of organizations?

      No, artists’ grant applications will be evaluated together, separately from those of organizations.

    • I have been selected for a residency abroad. I have to pay registration and stay fees. Am I eligible for the Travel section?

      No. Under the new grant program, this project, like all residency projects, must be submitted to the Research and Exploration or Creation sections, depending on its nature.

    • I have been selected for a residency, and the partner organization will cover the costs of my stay and production costs. Am I eligible for the Travel section?

      Yes, you are eligible for financial assistance for expenses not covered by the partner. Eligible expenses are as follows:
      – Transportation costs.
      – Expenses related to travel such as vaccination, visa, insurance, etc.
      – Costs related to the translation of excerpts from works.
      – Transportation costs for supplies needed for the project.

    • Our group would like to tour abroad. Is a group eligible for the Circulation of Works Outside Québec section?

      Yes, if the group is not legally incorporated as a for-profit or non-profit organization, including a general partnership. The application must be submitted by only one artist who will assume responsibility for managing the project and the grant, if applicable.

    • An organization located in Québec invites me to present a body of work and I need financial assistance for the transportation of my work as well as for my travel and living expenses. Am I eligible for the Travel section?

      No, but you can submit an application under the Circulation of Works Within Québec section if your project requires a minimum of five nights or three performances outside your place of residence.

    • I am invited to circulate my work abroad or in Québec, and I need financial assistance to cover the artists’ fees. Are these expenses eligible under the Circulation of Works Within Québec and Circulation of Works Outside Québec sections?

      No, it is up to the presenter to cover the artists’ fees. Eligible costs for the Circulation of Works sections essentially cover transportation and accommodation.

    • I am invited to present an exhibition abroad that requires international material transportation logistics. Am I eligible for the Travel section?

      No, but the project is eligible under Circulation of Works Outside Québec. You may then apply for assistance from the CALQ for the following expenses:
      – Travel and related expenses such as vaccination or visa fees;
      – Living expenses (maximum of $140 per day);
      – Transportation costs for equipment or works, including insurance and customs;
      – Equipment rental fees;
      – Promotional and advertising costs not covered by the host organization;
      – Agency fees;
      – Administrative costs up to 10% of the total project cost.

    • I would like to travel abroad to carry out a research or creation stage for an artistic project.  Am I eligible for the Travel section?

      No, the project must be submitted to the Research and Exploration or Creation section, depending on the nature of the project.

    • I have an artistic project that requires me to travel abroad to meet with partners or collaborators to finalize a stage of the project. Am I eligible for the Travel section?

      Yes, you must submit a schedule and confirmation of the planned meetings.

    • Can I apply to the Travel section for financial assistance for the transportation of materials?

      Yes, if the materials are necessary for the project. Examples of such costs include excess baggage when an artist is transporting material for a conference, or the cost of transporting the instrument of a musician participating in an international competition. These cannot be costs related to the transportation of works, sets, costumes, etc.; those may be included in the Circulation of Works sections.

    • Can I apply for a travel grant for an artist other than myself?

      It’s possible in some cases – for example, if you are organizing an event and inviting other artists to attend as panelists or as resource persons, without presenting their own work. If the application is for a tour, travel expenses for the group are eligible under the Circulation of Works section.

    • Can I ask for funding to cover the fees and travel expenses of foreign artists who are involved in my project?

      Yes. These types of expenses can be included in your application.

      Any other questions?

    • Who may I contact if I have questions about the new grant program?

      You may contact the program officer in charge of your discipline whose name you will find under the Direction du soutien aux artistes, aux communautés et à l’action régionale section of the staff and contact information.

    In the meantime, you can view this table, which highlights the main changes to the program.

    Useful links