First agreement for reciprocal residencies between Québec and Cuba
The CALQ and Cuba’s Ministry of Culture are pleased to announce the signature of the first agreement for reciprocal residencies between Québec and Cuba. This four-year partnership forms the basis for an exchange program for artists and studio-residencies in the fields of literature, music, arts and crafts, and puppet theatre.
The agreement will enable two Québec artists or writers with over two years of practice to take part in a two-month residency in Matanzas, Cuba between July and December 2022, and two Cuban artists to enjoy a two-month residency in Québec. The grant provided is $5,500.
Call for applications
An initial call for applications is being issued today for musical artists and writers from Québec with at least two years of practice. Applications can be submitted to the CALQ until January 13.
An impressive partnership
In 2022 and 2024, the Québec- Cuba residency program will be open to writers and musical artists. In 2023 and 2025, the program will be open to artists in arts and crafts and puppet theatre. In Québec and in Cuba, grant recipients will be hosted by a professional organization based on their discipline and the nature of the project.
In Cuba, hosting partners are:
- Centro Provincial del Libro y la Literatura (Ediciones Matanzas) (literature)
- Orquesta Juvenil Swing Cubano, ensemble directed by musician Bruno Villalonga, with students from La Escuela Profesional de Arte de Matanzas, connected to La Empresa Comercializadora de la Música y los Espectáculos Rafael Somavilla (music)
- Mano a Mano - Matanzas, studio connected to La Asociación Cubana de Artesanos Artistas (ACAA) (arts and crafts)
- Teatro de las Estaciones (puppet theatre)
In Québec, hosting partners are:
- Union des écrivaines et des écrivains québécois (UNEQ) (literature)
- Centre des musiciens du monde (music)
- Mano a Mano, Artisans sans frontières de Lanaudière (arts and crafts)
- Festival international des arts de la marionnette à Saguenay (puppet theatre)
This agreement is made possible through the cooperation of Québec’s Ministère de la Culture et des Communications, Québec’s Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie, and the Québec Government Office in Havana.
A network of residencies around the world
A large network of studios, exchanges, and studio-residencies on four continents offers creators in all disciplines some 40 possibilities for stays to stimulate their professional endeavours in close to 20 cities around the world, including New York, Taiwan, Buenos Aires, Paris, Rome, Berlin, London, Mumbai, Seoul, Tokyo, Dakar, and Tetouan.
The CALQ’s residency program is for professional artists and writers seeking regeneration and discovery, who want to immerse themselves in other cultures or have access to internationally renowned host sites to conduct their research and explore new avenues of creation.
A call for application is open until January 13, 2022 for visual and comic strip artists who would like to spend two months in Tetouan, Morocco.